mresundance asked: 10.
:DDD A MOST EXCELLENT CHOICE SIR! You have chosen Definitely Not Toni Stark’s Voice Diary, and this is Good Life Choices, because ngl, this is one of my favorite things I’ve ever made :)
- I’m not gonna lie, I’m fucking proud of coming up with this concept. Doing a podfic for a reverse big bang takes a lot of creativity to come up with something interesting, and this ended up being REALLY well-suited to my skillset. I would actually love in general to see more people doing podfics for RBB challenges that aren’t just open dialogue scenes, or a newly-written ficlet. That’s what I wanted to do with this—something that was an original, complete work in its own right, but could be incorporated into a written fic, just like you would with more traditional art—and I, personally, think I succeeded :)
- All of the sound effects/sound “design” of it, which were done foley-style. Because I recorded this thing entirely on my phone, I basically planned roughly what I was gonna say, pressed record, and stuck my phone in my bra. Toni was going to take a shower? I walked into the bathroom and turned the shower on. Toni was pouring herself a drink? I grabbed a glass and ice cubes and poured myself a drink. Pepper came home? I sat across the room, told moonm what to say when, had her open and close the front door, and say some lines while walking from the front door of our apartment to down the hallway away from me. The end effect I think made it feel a lot more like, ~authentic than me inserting effects found online afterwards, and I really like the end result.
- The fact that I did the majority of it without a script. Personally, I can tell the difference between the parts of this I pre-scripted and the parts I didn’t, and I really like how, like…I dunno, is real the right word? I guess “real”, the unscripted parts sounded. I think it worked, and it was really, really fun to just ramble into my phone, in-character, for several minutes, and then edit that into something useable :)
Also, if y’all haven’t read the amazing fic that Sinope wrote based on my podfic, you’re missing out!
lightinthemountains asked: aaaaand my 37 I mean 27 *glares at fingers*
Heee :P 27 is the podfic of Thermoregulation! (I don’t think I’ve listened to this one for over two years, holy shit! I had to relisten to it!)
- I’m pretty sure this is actually my shortest podfic to date, clocking in at exactly 2 minutes long. Because of that—and also because I was reading it cold, for my podfic bingo card—I feel like it’s a little slower than normal for me? Which is pretty interesting, and I kinda like.
- I ALWAYS love doing Rodney voice. (See: last answer, talking about type-casting XD)
- I actually didn’t remember I had read this one cold until I scrolled down and looked at my notes, after relistening. The fact that I couldn’t even tell makes me pretty proud of my “read a fic cold” skillz ;)
opalsong asked: In response to the fan meme thing. I'm choosing AT RANDOM (no really I haven't looked at your AO3 page) number 5 (do hockey players get a zero in front if they don't have a two digit number or does it have to be two digit....?)
Oooooh this is a good one! It’s the multi-voice podfic of Texts From Cephalopods, also featuring 6 other lovely podficcers!
- Octopus was, to date, probably the character I have had the most fun voicing, in any project. Lunate8 sort of mentions it in the her notes at the end of the podfic, but like. When she initially emailed me, she was like, “before Jo even told me you wanted to organize a multi-voice recording of this, I knew I wanted you for Octopus!” I joke a lot about type-casting myself lately in podfic (Tony Stark, Stiles, Patrick Kane; my voice lends itself to a certain type of character) but—and I don’t know if this is a positive or negative reflection on me, tbh—Octopus in this fic may be the most me character I have ever done. I think it shows XD
- I’m actually really proud of the covers? I really like both of them in really different ways. I originally just made the one with the vector art tentacle and sent it to Lunate8, but then she reminded me that pennyplainknits—the lovely voice of the narrator in one of the casts—actually has a tentacle squick (seriously! and she still read for the part! what a champ), so I made a second cover for that cast that didn’t have ANY DISTINCT TENTACLES AT ALL on it ;) Fun fact: this cover is actually the reason I am STILL (over a year later) “Idiot Octopus” in moonm’s phone. (She’s “Loki Laufeyson” in mine.)
- I am IN LOVE with Lunate8’s producing of the whole thing—everyone’s readings are AWESOME, and they are made EVEN MORE AWESOME by her amazing editing. Seriously, the sound effects are so perf. One of my bosses (Boss #1) actually has Octopus’s ringtone as his text tone, and EVERY TIME his phone isn’t on silent and it goes off, I can’t help but think of this podfic, and need to hold back the giggles.
Seriously, both these podfics are so great, I highly recommend checking them out, the whole cast is A+++++++ :D
(And yes, hockey player number can be single digit :P)